Have you suffered an injury on your way to or from work? If so, you may be eligible to claim workers compensation.
Applying for Workers’ Compensation
Workers’ compensation is something you can claim if you’ve had an accident in the workplace, but it can also apply to injuries sustained on the way to work or on the way home from work. This also relates to previous health issues that have been aggravated or worsened by your working conditions.
To file a workers’ compensation claim, you will typically need to apply through the government organisation known as WorkCover Queensland. However, you should first find out if your employer passed for its own insurance, separate from WorkCover (this is called a self-insurer). If this is the case, you will need to file your claim with your employer.
Tips for Applying for Workers’ Compensation
There may be some instances where WorkCover makes an unfavourable decision, rejecting your claim. In this case, there are workers’ compensation lawyers, such as those at Carew Lawyers, who can help you with your claim or advise you how to launch an appeal with Q-Comp. Q-Comp is the appeal body, who regulates workers’ compensation claims in Queensland.
The following suggestions should help you with the claims process:
- Make sure you report the incident to your employer immediately;
- Speak to your doctor right away and if they can deem your injury to be work-related, you will be given a Workers’ Compensation Medical Certificate, which is what you will need to present to your employer and / or WorkCover;
- Make sure to tell your doctor how the injury happened and what your symptoms are.
- Obtain a complete Workers’ Compensation Application Form. You can do this by calling WorkCover on 1300 362 128.
- Double-check the forms making sure you completed it in full. Then submit the original to WorkCover and a copy to your employer. If your employer is self-insured, give the original to them.
With the necessary forms filled in correctly and submitted to the right people, you’ll be saving yourself a lot of time in the early stages of your application.
If you are looking for personal injury lawyers practising in workers’ compensation, consider Carew Lawyers. We will happily review your case and provide guidance and assistance.